Friday, November 28, 2008

Experience News - Where it happens

The day I arrived in India at the beginning of my journey, there were the Delhi Bombings. It didn't affect me since I had a flight to Leh shortly after landing in Delhi. However, I could feel the cause of this event: indians were scared, tourists canceled their India trip, there were ongoing discussion on TV and I myself (like other backpackers) avoided the big cities. The other day, I read an article in a local newspaper that citizen of Mumbai are scared since their city was not affected by the bombing. They avoided busy spots, avoided going to the cinema (what they love to do so much) and are acting cautious all the time.
I myself visited Mumbai at the end of my trip since it's where I have to catch my flight. Of course I visited the most important sights. Of course I visited the Taj Mahal Hotel and of course I had lunch at Cafe Leopold.  And now the Mumbai Blasting is all over the news.


This is a picture I took last month of the Taj Mahal Hotel


I don't think "It could have been me" since the probability is very small. However, I know what everyone is talking about on TV and what they are writing in the newspapers. I know how it looks there. I know people there. I know what local think and can guess how they feel. I have been there! This is an important part about traveling and makes it so interesting: understanding the current political and economical situation. I learned a lot how India works (or not...). Up in Ladakh people explained me the situation and the ongoing tensions in the Kashmir valley and now, in Thailand I learn why people block an international airport. This definitely gives a better insight into such issues then reading a boring newspaper or watching TV back in Switzerland and makes traveling such a great experience.

No comments: